Saturday, August 29, 2009

An Essay by & about the Photographer

Why Your Art?

“Mommy, can I take the picture?” Ever since I was little I’ve loved taking pictures. Photography has been a growing passion of mine that has only expanded in time. Even though I’ve had many passions and hobbies, photography is the only one that stuck with me throughout the years.

During high school I struggled on what I wanted to do after I graduated. I also went back and fourth between if I wanted to go to a community college, a Cal State or a University. By my junior year I decided I wanted to pursue a career in photography.

In March 2008, I bought my own camera, a Nikon D40. I experimented with my camera and learned different techniques to expand my work. I started my own company called Minor Threat Photography. I’m not quite sure how I came up with the name, but it stuck. At first, I did photo shoots for free so that I would be able to learn better use my camera and how to work with a client. Then the more I learned and the longer I worked, led to wanting to make some money out of it.

As time passed, I toyed with my camera and I realized the happiness I got out of taking pictures. Around this time is when I became interested in going to a school that specialized in photography, instead of a community college. I began looking around for schools that I felt had what I was looking for; Because I wasn’t interested in a four-year curriculum, I started looking into trade schools. My mom found the Art Institute of San Diego and began doing her own research, but it still didn’t grab my attention. We found out they didn’t have photography at the San Diego location, so we began to look into the Orange County. It excited me to go to an open house for the school because I enjoy being in Orange County. As soon as I started walking around the inside of the A-building, I fell in love. Seeing everyone’s artwork, designs, and stories inspired.

I chose the Art Institute of Orange County because it’s based on creativity and a passion for art. . I love learning about all different types of art. I love that we’re all so diverse in the way we think and how we learn. The fact that the Art Institute has digital photography, fashion design, graphic design, gaming design, culinary and so much more is exciting to me because it opens up ways to network and make connections for the future. For example, my closest friends so far are all in different majors. My passion for photography is strong because I know I’m destined for greatness. I’m not someone who wants to or is meant to be stuck in a cubical or office all day. I have a big heart and an even bigger imagination, which is what fuels me. Photography is amazing to me because it gives me a chance to capture moments and show people life as I see it. For example, I’ve taken pictures of both cobwebs and roses, and they looked equally beautiful. My goal for my future and my artwork is just that, to show people life in a different perspective and open up the way people think. I hope my artwork can be inspirational to someone one day.

My goal now, at the Art Institute is to earn my degree, discover what field of photography I would like to be in and have a greater knowledge of photography as well as art as a whole. I want to be so great and influential in my career that one day someone will be researching me in his or her art class.  I want to be known for my powerful work that made a big difference either in someone’s life or in photography. Even though my journey at the Art Institute is just beginning, I’m anxious for what I’m about to learn and how I’ll become a better photographer by Spring 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment